Re: [platform-ui-dev] Oomph

On 03/08/2016 03:40 PM, Stefan Xenos wrote:
> IMHO, if the committer are not using it (and it seems, so far most dont want to)

I'd suspect that most aren't keen on using it because they haven't seen how much stuff they previously did manually that will now "just work". I didn't want to use it either until I saw yesterday's demo.
- Installing and connecting to multiple JDKs
- Cloning the source code
- Installing the IDE, and setting up preferences
- Setting up the build prerequisites such that you can build the unit tests.

I saw many presentations and read many testimonials, and believe Oomph is a cool thing, that is helpful for Eclipse/plugin projects and hiding a few things regarding some configuration of preferences or import or installation of features.
Now I can tell you why I'm not keen to use Oomph:  what I consider as "my" target users are using the plain Eclipse IDE, from an EPP package, to develop non-Eclipse applications. They'll most likely never provide an IDE-specific Oomph setup for their project, just like many do not provide the some psf files, the .project nor share their preferences.
So since those users won't use Oomph for their project, I prefer avoiding them for me to keep close from their tools and workflows rather than hiding them under such a new layer they don't have. Just like regular IDE users, I want to face the trouble of installing the right feature, cloning repo from EGit, configuring the preferences... If I do not perform this regular user stories, I'm afraid to miss some relevant ideas to improve the usability of Eclipse IDE.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat