Re: [platform-ui-dev] Oomph

Also, Oomph is very useful when bootstrapping the IDE to contribute to a project; once the IDE is set up, there is not much reason to wipe it out and try again the Oomph installer.

Actually, Oomph seems useful for more than just bootstrapping. They also have an update command in the help menu that pulls in updates to the configuration. We can use this whenever platform UI adds a new required plugin or source dependency to make sure all developers receive the new dependency without getting compiler errors. It also checks for configurations changes on restart, so any committer using oomph will automatically pull in project configuration changes every time they update.

You can also use it if you - for example - want to contribute to another project - such as SWT, JDT, or CDT, to update your environment with the union of the features you'll need. They also have things like dynamic working sets that will track the contents of the platform UI repository and a more robust target platform specification that will be less likely to produce workspace errors (there's a fair number of error scenarios that Oomph can handle and a target platform definition can't). So there's some very useful things that oomph does that are unrelated to initial setup.

-1 for requiring everyone to use it, we should allow also the old flow

I'm fine with allowing it, but we shouldn't post both sets of instructions since that's confusing to new users. We also shouldn't be maintaining both the .psf + installer configuration files along with an oomph configuration, when the oomph configuration is superior.

  - Stefan