Re: [platform-ui-dev] Commit message guidelines

Paul, I'm still not sure I understand...what would the checkin notices you list below look like in your proposed format ?

Eric

From: Paul Webster <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/27/2012 07:44 AM
Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] Commit message guidelines
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1!

Currently I can simply copy&paste the bugzilla summary without any editing. If I have to spend more time to get the commit message right than quickly fixing a bug then that's just a waste.

Despite the hyperbole :-) that's not what I'm asking.  Copying in the bug #/title that everybody does appears to be fine.  A sentence describing what was done if it's not on the bug already, I don't see a problem with that.  The most important part from my point of view is making sure the bug # is in the footer.

Below is an example of some of our commit comments today.  Since I think that's within the spirit of what we want (and John's assertion that any comments on the fix are of course in the bug :-) it would be sufficient to add "Bug: #" (notice the colon) to the end.  It would make our own build input tool more reliable (we can pick up one bug of the form [Bb]ug N+ per line, we currently miss stuff).  It would also align with git (extra information in footers) and make sure we would work with Gerrit (which provides links for any Bug: N+ footers), and be similar to other eclipse projects.

For major fixes, for secondary commits to "clean up" a fix that's not quire right, etc, I think a sentence or 2 more than the bug title is warranted, and I'm confident that it won't take more than time than the fix itself.  As a matter of fact, you have my personal guarantee! :-)

----

    Bug 344029 - Editor navigation and Tab-Ordering

    Add dirty indicator.
    Add hint text for filter text field.
----
    Bug 371115 Dependency Injection should not auto-gen an object (without
    @Named annotation)

    Append the @Creatable interface so the contacts demow orks again.
----
    Bug 372150 - Deprecate presentation API in 4.x

    remove the unused extension in org.eclipse.ui
----
    Bug 371415 - Infinite recursion copying folder to child

    Infinite recursion when performing recursive copy of
    eclipse folders using custom FileStore implementation
----
    Bug 319255 - Hidden toolbar contributions appear in toolbar

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR