[platform-ui-dev] DCR: new toolbar or view management improvements

GEF would like to start displaying the palette as a workbench view instead of as a control inside the editor.  In the past, we could not do this because most GEF clients have the following requirements:

1) P1 - The Palette "view" must always be visible, or the editor is severely limited in function.  (the view cannot be closed or hidden).
2) P1 - Many editors don't make use of the palette, so it must not waste space when not in use. (the view disappears when not in use).
3) P2 - The palette should be tall and skinny
4) P3 - The palette should be near the editor

Maybe improvements to view management can meet these requirements.  Or, maybe a new type of ActionBar can be introduced that is a vertical toolbar down the left or right side of the editor (similar to "cheat sheets").  Maybe cheatsheets could be implemented as a contribution to such an actionbar.  In MS Office, there is a side bar down the right that has multiple modes, such as cheat sheet, style templates, clip art, and I'm sure palette would fit in.

I just wanted to discuss this proactively instead of reactively.  In the past, we've seen new features suddenly completed without warning, in which case it's unlikely that all requirements were available for consideration.

thanks,
randy

Back to the top