Re: [platform-ui-dev] o.e.ui.tests: what's automagic?

Thomas,

Generally our automated test suites just test APIs and whether things like
showing views, running actions, opening wizards and dialogs etc. run
correctly.
Of course, there is often some non-UI work going on behind the glass,
which the tests cover as well, e.g. import/export.

There is no automation of user-level interaction (i.e. clicks and
keypresses).

The dialog sizing tests you saw require manual intervention.  This test
suite runs through the dialogs, for each one it asks the human tester if
if looks correct, and it has a little results dialog that it updates as it
goes.  If all checks pass, the test suite passes, otherwise it fails.  It
also ask about aspects or than sizing (e.g. mnemonics for accessibility).

Sorry I can't provide more detail than this at the moment, but we're
currently trying to get Milestone 5 of Eclipse 2.1 out the door (the
feature complete code build is tomorrow morning).
I'd be interested in hearing about any potential improvements you can
offer in this area.

Regards,
Nick Edgar
Eclipse Platform UI Team Lead