Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editor Reuse and the Debugger

Do you really need that many editors open?  Certainly, once you've opened
that many the Tabs are no longer usable.  How do you switch between
Editors?  Do you use Ctrl+F6, or do you use some View like the navigator to
switch the Editors?

I really don't think one needs that many editors open unless they are all
*dirty*.  If they are not dirty, they are serving no purpose other than a
bookmark so you can get back to them quickly.  If that is the case, then
perhaps you could get by with history management of some type.

I consider it a danger in having so many Editors actually be open (as
opposed to having some way to very quickly re-open them, like history).
The danger is this: that resource may get viewed in some other
perspective/window like the debugger.  You can make changes there, and then
close the Window/perspective without getting prompted to Save.  Then
perhaps much later you go back to the original instance of the Editor and
it is dirty, and you can't remember why, since that is not where you made
the change.  You don't remember if you really changed the resource, or just
accidentally bumped a key and dirtied the Editor.

BTW, someone has my vote for an accelerator that I have to invoke before I
can start editing a document.  80% of the time I'm just reading code, and I
frequently have to hit "Revert" when I mistakenly type.

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           "Johan Compagner"     |
|         |           <jcompagner@xxxxxxxx> |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           03/26/2002 04:22 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                          |
  |       To:       <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editor Reuse and the Debugger                                                      |
  |                                                                                                                          |

i want to have so much editors open as my window can hold and still are
visible
on my screen (so no scrollbars)
This is because i have not only java files open but also some jsp's
and those are on 2 complete different locations so i hate that have to
scroll in the
packages/navigation view.

johan