Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editor Reuse and the Debugger

> From: Jared Burns <jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> This particular case is the reason that I would prefer the debugger to do its
> own editor management. It should reuse a single editor for showing the editor
> location of a stack frame.

So the debugger can open one extra window (even after the threshold (+1)?)
where the debugger does it stepping in and let the other open editors as they where.
But does show the other open editors please! because sometimes i do my work
completely in the debugger.. Directly edit there some jsp or java classes that will be
used in the debugger.

> It is tolerable (and only barely in light of the debugger editor situation)
> for the Eclipse development team right now because we use Eclipse for only
> one thing: working on Eclipse. As more tools roll out, there will be more
> opportunities for users to be working in completely disparate contexts in a
> single Eclipse session. For these users, editor sharing between perspectives
> will be a nightmare.  If I want to have a web development perspective open
> with 10 html files and a Java development perspective open with 10 Java
> files, am I out of luck? We can sell the fact that Eclipse lets tools work
> together, but we're going to have a hard time selling the fact that Eclipse
> won't let them work seperately.

Yes you can work perfectly with that scenario!!
Just use 2 windows. I do the same thing. I have a framework project and
a Web app project, both with there own jsp's and classes so both hat a set
of windows opened.

This could also be a solution for the debugger problem. Just open a debugger
in a window of its own.

> From: "Randy Hudson" <hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Instead of a threshold like 10, I think the debugger's editor management is
> much closer to what I want everywhere.  I never want more than one Editor
> open, except when the current editor is dirty.  I find that having too many
> editors opened just results in my closing everything and starting over.

i want to have so much editors open as my window can hold and still are visible
on my screen (so no scrollbars)
This is because i have not only java files open but also some jsp's
and those are on 2 complete different locations so i hate that have to scroll in the
packages/navigation view.

johan

Back to the top