Re: [platform-ua-dev] Extending Help Capacbilities

Hi Francois,

There are two ways you can approach this:

1) Traditional way - Write some scripts or a small program to convert your content to the formats that eclipse help understands - toc xml, html, index xml, etc. You can do this either in one pass and completely switch from your old formats to these, or if you prefer to keep your old formats you can run your tools during build time so that they get converted at build time.

2) New way (requires 3.3+ not yet released) - I've added some new extensions that should allow you to plug-in java code that will be called upon to generate the table of contents, index, documents, etc at run-time. This allows you to write an adapter plug-in that can convert from your format to help formats on-the-fly at run-time. Have a look at org.eclipse.help.contentProducer, org.eclipse.help.index, org.eclipse.help.toc extension points.

Curt

François HERBRETEAU <francois-herbreteau@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

18/10/2006 11:40 AM

Please respond to
francois-herbreteau@xxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform User Assistance component developers list." <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-ua-dev] Extending Help Capacbilities

Can anyone help me in extending Eclipse Help Capabilities!

Previously, we developped a Java Application with an integrated Help System (using JavaHelp API).
In order to solve lots of problems (printing support, UI, ...), we decide to convert our application into an RCP application.
We need that this new version has an integreted Help System (Eclipse's one) that uses Help content defined for the previous version.

My problem is that in our application, visual content of the help was dynamically constructed using:
 - an HTML base that contains non-HTML tags,
 - properties files that contains the text to insert

We would like to use the same system in our new application.

My question is very simple : What do we have to do in order to make this work.

Sorry for my poor english.

Francois HERBRETEAU