[platform-team-dev] old and new synchronization API

Hi,

our self-developed team adaper is based on the 'old' team plugin structure, i.e. the packages org.eclipse.vcm.core and org.eclipse.vcm.ui. It still works perfectly with Eclipse 3.2, but we wonder for how long in the future this will be the case. Currently we are thinking about migrating our plugin onto the synchronization API which is new since Eclipse 3.0. But we are not sure if it is the right time to do this and if it is really necessary.
Could you please tell us how stable and mature the current status of the API is?
Concerning synchronization support it says in the documentation that "the means of affecting the state is left to the implementer". Are there plans to integrate this task into the API? Which other tasks are planned to be integrated in the future and with which version?
Will there be drawbacks when staying on the current status like that the plugin will miss notifications about file changes? Will this get worse with future releases of Eclipse?

Thanks
Ingo Jahnel

Back to the top