Re: [platform-team-dev] old and new synchronization API

Ingo,

Wow, you programmed against the old "VCM" plug-ins and the code still works in 3.2? These plug-ins haven't been part of the SDK since 1.0. Do you build them yourself or did you just extract them from an Eclipse 1.x drop? I must say that I'm quite fascinated with this. We've always strived to make Eclipse backwards compatible but I would not have believed that the old 1.0 VCM plug-ins would still work in 3.2.

Given that the plug-ins still work and Eclipse is still committed to remain backwards compatible in the 3.x stream, I would say there is a good chance that they will continue to work in the 3.x stream. However, work has begun in planning a 4.0 version. It is a few years off but I doubt that the code would work in 4.0. At this point, I'm not sure what the backwards compatible statement for 4.0 is so it is possible that the 3.0 Synchronize framework may not be supported in 4.0 as-is either (although I'm pretty sure that steps would be taken make the migration as easy as possible if the decision was made not to be backwards compatible). Given that 4.0 is a ways off (i.e. we just started the planning), I wouldn't really consider that in making any descisions.

As for stability, the 3.0 Synchronize framework is stable and is actually not undergoing much change. The reason is that, in 3.2, we introduced another type of Synchronization to support the intergration of logical models into Team operations. I would say that the model-based Synchronization is not quite as stable as the 3.0 style Synchronization but has some additional features (here's a link to the FAQ that describes the two Synchronization types: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/CVS_FAQ#Synchronizing_has_some_regressions_in_Eclipse_3.2._Why.3F).

In regards to your question about generic Team operations (i.e. like we had in 1.0), there is currently no plan to provide such commands. The attempt to do so in 1.0 was actually a dismall failure since most repositories are so different that coming up with a standard set of commands was actually disabling for most repositories being integrated with Eclipse. Repository vendors tend to be much happier with providing their own operations. Therefore, the new Synchronization framework has sevral levels of integration to support these differences.

As to whether you should move to the "Team" plug-ins from the old "VCM" plug-ins, I can't really answer that question for you. The disadvantage of upgrading is that you would need to do more than a trivial amount of work. The advantage of moving is that you will be using a more flexible framework that is being actively maintained (i.e. there have been no changes made to the VCM plug-ins since Eclipse became open source).

Hope this helpd,
Michael

"Jahnel, Ingo (Allianz Deutschland AG)" <ingo.jahnel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-team-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2007 09:39 AM

Please respond to
Generic team support framework <platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<platform-team-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-team-dev] old and new synchronization API

Hi,

our self-developed team adaper is based on the 'old' team plugin structure, i.e. the packages org.eclipse.vcm.core and org.eclipse.vcm.ui. It still works perfectly with Eclipse 3.2, but we wonder for how long in the future this will be the case. Currently we are thinking about migrating our plugin onto the synchronization API which is new since Eclipse 3.0. But we are not sure if it is the right time to do this and if it is really necessary.
Could you please tell us how stable and mature the current status of the API is?

Concerning synchronization support it says in the documentation that "the means of affecting the state is left to the implementer". Are there plans to integrate this task into the API? Which other tasks are planned to be integrated in the future and with which version?
Will there be drawbacks when staying on the current status like that the plugin will miss notifications about file changes? Will this get worse with future releases of Eclipse?

Thanks
Ingo Jahnel