Re: [platform-swt-dev] Capturing External Events

It's not possible today in SWT.  When the mouse is outside of your shell, you can't see mouse events.  On some platforms you can grab the mouse but this hasn't worked on Windows since Windows 3.11.

Kyle M Himmerick <himmeric@xxxxxxxxxx>

09/16/2004 03:51 PM

Please respond to
platform-swt-dev

platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Capturing External Events

Hello,
I am trying to allow a user to define a region of their screen (in any
application) for a screenshot.  So far I've been unable to capture any mouse
event that occurs outside of the visible region of my shell.  I've tried
attaching a listener to the display but it still doesn't receive any events
outside of the application window.

Is there some simple way to add a listener at a lower level?  I want to be
notified of all OS mouse events, so I can determine when a user has defined
a rectangle region with a click and drag.

I considered a glass pane that is always on top, but that will not
allow users to use the underlying os (ie switch to another application
before defining a region).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kyle Himmerick
himmeric@xxxxxxxxxx
(303) 924-4081 T/L: 263-4081