RE: [platform-swt-dev] Proposal SWT to Eclipse Team

Frans,

I will do my best to explain given my understanding of what you are
requesting.

SWT is already decoupled from Eclipse. Although it is currently released
with Eclipse releases, that is primarily because the large majority of
bugs/enhancements that occur in SWT are found through its extensive use
INSIDE of Eclipse.

See the 3.1M1 build of SWT (for Windows) here:
http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-3.1M1-200408122000/download.p
hp?dropFile=swt-3.1M1-win32.zip

There are many examples of applications built using SWT today with no
affiliation to Eclipse.

For instance:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
http://sqladmin.sourceforge.net/
http://sancho-gui.sourceforge.net/
http://rssowl.sourceforge.net/

... And many others.

In regards to RCP, I think you may be missing the original goals of RCP. RCP
is specifically intended to help developers build applications using SWT,
Jface and the Eclipse runtime (plug-ins, resources, etc) without any direct
affiliation to Eclipse whatsoever. If you don't need that runtime, you can
simply grab the pieces of Eclipse you need directly for your application.

I don't know if this helps, I am hoping I understood and was able to provide
the insight you were looking for -

Regards,

R.J.