RE: [platform-swt-dev] Status of OpenGL project

I don't have any affiliation with the SWT project, but I also investigated
this a few months back.  I looked through the GL4Java code and decided that
removing the AWT-specific code wouldn't be too much work.  I didn't actually
do any of the work, though.

It is interesting that you mention Java2D and Agile2D.  One of the things
you might notice from the Agile2D website (www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/agile2d/) is
that rendering text is relatively slow.  So even once you've got an OpenGL
binding, it might not solve all your rendering problems.

If you really are interested in 2D (rather than 3D) graphics, you might want
to take a look at the Piccolo toolkit (previously Jazz) at
www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo/.  As part of the Piccolo project, I've done
some minimal work at implementing a subset of Java2D using SWT's GC
rendering.  This code hasn't been thoroughly tested so it is still only
available in CVS.  You can check it out by following the instructions for
Piccolo at: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/cvs/index.shtml

Also, I believe a similar extension of GC graphics is implemented as part of
the GEF project.  That project is at:  http://www.eclipse.org/gef/

Lance