Re: [platform-swt-dev] JRE problem

Hi,
I also had this problem with the JRE but by changing the order of things I
was successful.
I first entered the name of the JRE, I then unchecked the 'Use default ...',
I filled in the rest of the details. There is no button called 'JRE Jar
File' so I just used the Add External Jar which worked.

Yes, I copied that part of the Readme from a previous version and didn't
notice that some labels of the dialog had changed since then.
Sorry about that...

I've updated the Readme in the following way:

- in Eclipse from the 'Window' menu open the 'Preferences' dialog.
- in the tree on the left hand side open the node 'Java' and select 'Installed JREs'
- press the 'Add' button
- in the 'JRE name' field enter a name, e.g. 'MacVM'
- for the 'JRE home directory' press the browse button and navigate to
'/<MacOS X Volume>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home'
  and press 'Choose'
- uncheck the 'Use default system libraries' checkbox at the bottom of the dialog;
  now tghe 'Remove' and 'Add external JAR' buttons should become enabled.
- remove the '.../rt.jar' file from the list and press 'Add external JAR'
- navigate to
'/<MacOS X Volume>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Classes'
  and select 'classes.jar' and press the 'Open' button
- close both dialogs with 'OK'

Please note: MacOS X does not have a single rt.jar file but its contents is distributed over
two files: 'classes.jar' and 'ui.jar'. If your project needs both (e.g. because
it is based on AWT or Swing) use the 'Add external JAR' to add the second library to the list.

However, to make your project use this do the following:
- select your project in the Java navigator
- open the 'Properties' dialog from the context menu
- select the entry 'Java Build Path' in the tree on the left hand side
- select the tab 'Libraries'
- remove the '../rt.jar' with the 'Remove' button
- press the 'Advanced...' button
- in 'Add Classpath Entry' dialog check the 'Add Container:' option and press 'OK'
- in the 'New Library' wizard select your previously created JRE (the one with
  classes.jar and ui.jar) and press 'Finish'.
- close all dialogs

--andre

Back to the top