From: Andre Weinand [mailto:weinand@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 3:56 PM
To: platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [platform-swt-dev] How to launch a Carbon app without any
wra ppers?

Thanks  Randy,
I'll try your suggestion.

>One side-bar.  Why did you choose Carbon over Cocoa for Eclipse
integration?

I started with Cocoa (Cocoa/Java bridge), but it was just not robust
and fast enough and I could not get all the low level events that I
need for implementing SWT. I've spent an enormous amount of time
debugging Cocoa/Java and was getting nowhere. After several weeks I
gave up and switched to Carbon and since then I had no problems at
all. Later I've learned that it would have been impossible to
implement SWT by using the Java/Cocoa-bridge (I would have had to use
Cocoa via JNI in order to be sucessful).

My Cocoa experiments are both in the repository and in the
ProjectBuilder archive on the SWT developer resources web page. You
find a more detailed explanation of why I switched to Carbon in the
archive of this mailing list.

I would have preferred using Cocoa too, however end users won't care
whether I've used a high-level toolkit like Cocoa or a low-level
toolkit like Carbon (as long as its fast enough).

But your are invited to prove me wrong :-)

--andre