RE: [platform-swt-dev] How to launch a Carbon app without any wra ppers?

Thanks  Randy,
I'll try your suggestion.

One side-bar.  Why did you choose Carbon over Cocoa for Eclipse integration?

I started with Cocoa (Cocoa/Java bridge), but it was just not robust and fast enough and I could not get all the low level events that I need for implementing SWT. I've spent an enormous amount of time debugging Cocoa/Java and was getting nowhere. After several weeks I gave up and switched to Carbon and since then I had no problems at all. Later I've learned that it would have been impossible to implement SWT by using the Java/Cocoa-bridge (I would have had to use Cocoa via JNI in order to be sucessful).

My Cocoa experiments are both in the repository and in the ProjectBuilder archive on the SWT developer resources web page. You find a more detailed explanation of why I switched to Carbon in the archive of this mailing list.

I would have preferred using Cocoa too, however end users won't care whether I've used a high-level toolkit like Cocoa or a low-level toolkit like Carbon (as long as its fast enough).

But your are invited to prove me wrong :-)

--andre

Back to the top