Re: [platform-swt-dev] swt, gtk and gcj

"Anthony Green" <green@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> swt appears to work well with the gcj in cvs.  I'm able to generate a native
> shared library on Linux and run simple test code with it...

Nice!

> If people are working on gtk bindings, it would be really nice to
> provide both JNI and CNI bindings.  gcj supports JNI, but CNI is
> pretty zippy.  It should be possible to do this with careful
> planning up front.

Do JNI and CNI result in the same Java API, just different C stubs?

GTK 2 comes with "defs" files that spec all the functions and types in
easy-to-parse form, so we could probably autogenerate 90% of the C
code, making it easy to change the between stub formats. The other
idea mentioned so far is to just use java-gnome (once it's moved to
GTK 2).

> I have autoconf/make/libtool configury if anyone is interested.

An idea I mentioned to Tom that you may not have seen - maybe we could
have a script to convert these build.properties files to auto*
automatically - that way avoiding code rot to the auto* setup.

I'm looking for some way to get all of Eclipse building easily from
source - right now it seems we have to manually tweak some settings in
the IDE itself for each sub-project of Eclipse, then build from the
GUI, which makes it hard to drop in gcj, and makes it hard to package
things as an SRPM. Also it makes it hard for people to get started
hacking on the code.

Havoc

Back to the top