Re: [platform-releng-dev] building single plugin

Walter Harley Wed, 11 May 2005 16:40:18 -0700
> My team is working on a branched version of o.e.jdt.core, as well as
> several other plugins that are not presently part of releng.

> We would like to be able to build our branched version of this
> plugin automatically, in a way that is as close as possible to what
> releng produces. But we don't want to build the whole Eclipse SDK;
> we just want to build this one plugin.

> I'm trying to understand the releng scripts, but there's a lot of
> material there; perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Walter: The best PDE-build docs of which I'm aware are

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/pde-build-home/articles/Automated%20Builds/article.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/readme.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/*checkout*/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/readme.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

> How can I do a command-line build of a single plugin (o.e.jdt.core)
> and be sure that I'm building the same way (same build settings,
> same JDT, ...) as releng does?

Pascal, Sonia: this would make a good "snippet"/howto for the article.
Walter: take a look @

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/readme.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html#examples
> Build JDT component against a pre-built Windows Platform component
> on Windows

> java -cp ..\org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder\startup.jar
org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner
-buildfile build.xml -Dcomponent=jdt -Dconfigs="*,*,*"
-DbuildDirectory=c:\builds\jdt -DbaseLocation=c:\builds\platform
-Dbaseos=win32 -Dbasews=win32 -Dbasearch=x86 -Djavacfailonerror=true

> This builds an Eclipse JDT component against a pre-built eclipse
> platform plugins. The build will fail if there are compile errors.
> The value specified for baseLocation must not contain any JDT
> features or plugins or the build will fail. "baseos", "basews" and
> "basearch" should be specified in order to find the correct location
> of platform specific jars (i.e. swt.jar) on the classpath.

> Build JDT component in a directory containing a previous Windows
> Platform buildDirectory

> java -cp ..\org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder\startup.jar
org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner
-buildfile build.xml -Dcomponent=jdt -Dconfigs="*,*,*"
-DbuildDirectory=c:\builds\platform -Dbaseos=win32 -Dbasews=win32
-Dbasearch=x86 -Djavacfailonerror=true

> This builds an Eclipse JDT component in the same directory where a
> Windows platform configuration was previously built. The build will
> fail if there are compile errors. "baseos", "basews" and "basearch"
> should be specified in order to find the correct location of
> platform specific jars (i.e. swt.jar) on the classpath.

FWIW, Tom Roche, IBM Rational Developer

Back to the top