[platform-help-dev] Navigation view - would like to have user-defined filtering

Suggestion for future release: In the navigation tree, allow me to select
nodes for filtering. This would allow advanced users, for example, to block
out beginner topics that they're not interested in any more, so they no
longer have to scroll down the nav to the chunks that they use 80% of the
time. Or, in a product that ships interfaces for 10 kinds of back-end
system, I could select to view only the ones that I'm interested in - save
some real estate.

My first idea for this was to right-click on the node and have a
checked/unchecked menu item like "Hide from Navigation/Show in Navigation."
(Another idea is an "Add to Favorites" option.) But I realize there is a
model for other views in the workbench - incl Navigator and Tasks - to
provide filtering my means of the "Menu" toolbar button (the inverted
triangle), which has Filter as a selection on its drop-down menu, which in
turn opens a dialog box where the user selects and clears check boxes. So
maybe the Help view should be consistent with the behavior of these other
views.

If you could provide something like this, I think there should be a clear
visual indication that I am currently viewing a subset of the information.
Not sure how you would do that. Maybe tabs - View All, View Favorites.

I think the Synchronize button in a help document should synchronize to the
"All" view?

Leigh Davidson
Editor, IBM Canada Lab

Back to the top