Re: [platform-help-dev] servlet API for standalone help?

If you just run Eclipse, the help should work, without you worrying about
starting the Tomcat, Help is still DHTML/JSP based with Tomcat 4.0 running
inside Eclipse, but this is all internal and of no interest to either user
or developers.

What is of interest for non-Eclipse products are two other solutions that
do not require to run Eclipse Workbench:

A.  Standalone.  A product and standalone Eclipse help system are both
installed on user's machine.  Product calls java API of help system to
start help system and to display help information.  Help system is
responsible to open the help browser and display help contents.  The API
and implementation is not yet ready, the time frame is March 15.
The answers to your questions if you plan to use this scenario are:
1.  You call our Java API (not yet available).  Help system will open an
HTML capable browser.
2. The API will have parameters to specify help topic to display when the
browser will open.
3.  March 15.

B.  Infocenter.  HTML capable browser is running on user's machine, and
pointing to a server, that runs servlet engine with eclipse help system
webapp.  The help system is head-less, meaning it does not have the UI.
User must open browser manually and point to the URL of the webapp, or a
product might open the browser for the user.  The browser will load a
complete help frameset with navigation, contents, and all the rest of the
presentation.
In this scenario answers are:
1.  It is up to the product to launch some HTML browser.
2.  This browser is used for browsing URLs.  No UI APIs are applicable
3.  It is implemented and should be working.  We might refine steps
required to configure help webapp.
To customize look of the help inside the browser, changes need to be made
to the Eclipse help.webapp plug-in.  Complete customization is possible by
altering JSPs inside helpwebapp.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                    Teresa
                    Shen/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS           To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-help-dev] servlet API for standalone help?
                    clipse.org

                    02/28/2002 04:31 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

Hello,

We have a servlet-based user interface (non-Eclipse) and we want to
integrate a user assistance in Eclipse. I noticed that in the stable build
from 02/14/02 the Help Contents launches in a separate browser window and
it only runs when I have Tomcat 3.2 running. Is this coming from a servlet?
I think I read that it is DHTML and JSP. I have three questions.
1) How do we launch this separate help browser window from our
servlet-based UI?
2) Is there a servlet API available so we can figure out how to launch the
window and point to a specific file in the content frame?
3) If these are not currently available, what is the timeframe?

Thank you,
Teresa

Teresa Shen
RMSS User Technologies