[platform-doc-dev] Eclipse help index

Hello,

I wish to develop a back-of-book type index for my Eclipse app. The index might be generated using Apache Lucene.

The trouble I'm having is: how do I add an additional tab and frame source (i guess) to the help viewer to display the index. I attempted to modify the following jsp file:

org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.1.0\advanced\tabs.jsp by creating an additional View. Briefly, I did this by extending the internal LayoutData class within the jsp file itself (a kind of inner class i guess).

A more senior devleloper advised me on this and suggested that the jsp files mentioned above were pre-compiled in a file called jsp.jar within the org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.1.0\WEB-INF\lib directory and that I would need any modifications to be pre-compiled and added to this jar (which I did using an Ant Jasper\JSPC task). Long story short, I found that any modifications to this jsp.jar cause a 500 error in the help viewer tabs frame. Could someone advise me on how I could add an index tab to the help viewer in Eclipse. Is it wrong to go about it in this way (extending internal classes), can it be done using some extension point and if so which and how?

Thanks,

Aodh.

Looking for a baby-sitter? Find one FAST with MSN Search!

Back to the top