Re: [platform-doc-dev] Eclipse help index

Aodh,

'Back-of-book' a.k.a keyword index already exists in Help and is available
for you in 3.2. Curtis, can you point Aodh at the reading material for
contributing into the keyword index?

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

             "Aodh O'Lionaird"
             <aodholionaird@ho
             tmail.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             platform-doc-dev-                                          cc
             bounces@eclipse.o
             rg                                                    Subject
                                       [platform-doc-dev] Eclipse help
             04/26/2006 07:21
             AM

             Please respond to
                 "Platform
               Documentation
               discussions."
             <platform-doc-dev
               @eclipse.org>

Hello,

I wish to develop a back-of-book type index for my Eclipse app. The index
might be generated using Apache Lucene.

The trouble I'm having is: how do I add an additional tab and frame source
(i guess) to the help viewer to display the index. I attempted to modify
the following jsp file:

org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.1.0\advanced\tabs.jsp by creating an additional
View. Briefly, I did this by extending the internal LayoutData class within
the jsp file itself (a kind of inner class i guess).

A more senior devleloper advised me on this and suggested that the jsp
files mentioned above were pre-compiled in a file called jsp.jar within the
org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.1.0\WEB-INF\lib directory and that I would need
any modifications to be pre-compiled and added to this jar (which I did
using an Ant Jasper\JSPC task). Long story short, I found that any
modifications to this jsp.jar cause a 500 error in the help viewer tabs
frame. Could someone advise me on how I could add an index tab to the help
viewer in Eclipse. Is it wrong to go about it in this way (extending
internal classes), can it be done using some extension point and if so
which and how?

Thanks,

Aodh.

Looking for a baby-sitter? Find one FAST with MSN Search!