[platform-doc-dev] Eclipse customization

Hallo all

    I do not know if this is the right place to ask this question. If it is not, please excuse me and tell me in which mailing list it would it suit better. Here is my problem:

    I have developed a web application framework and would like to be able to distribute a customized eclipse + plugins with some projects preloaded.

    The idea would be to have the bundle copied to a CD, from which it can be copied to the hard disk. Then, by means of some ant based configuration scripts rewrite the paths inside the eclipse and plugin configuration files to reflect the location of the various resources in the local installation.

    I have read the article in http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecfeat/ , which was of great help for the plugin customization. I manage to copy my (eclipse + plugins + tomcat + jre) bundle to the hard disk wherever I like, and run an ant script that will reconfigure all the path information. After this I can launch eclipse and it will recognize all the plugins and their configuration. I can even directly launch the bundled copy of Tomcat with the sysdeo plugin, using also the bundled copy of the JRE.

    Now I want to have this eclipse preloaded with some Java projects. These will be located in a directory outside the workspace dir in eclipse. I need to do the same path rewriting somewhere for the projects, as with the plugin configurations, so that everything works no matter where the user copied the whole bundle. When opening eclipse first time the projects have to be there, and then the user will be able to star directly the web applicatin or maybe synchronize with CVS and get the latest changes for the projects.

    My first idea was to load the project into eclipse and take a look to the .metadata dir under the workspace. I find a file .metadata/.projects/myprojectname/.location which actually contains the path to the location of my project. So, I think, maybe this is the file I have to hack by changing the path info. BUT, I find that the contents of this file is not just plain text, but also binary data. There is one line with someting like:

@±‹#¼ %–磓¾ #C:\temp\MYSDK\projects\myprojectÀXûó#¼ QóŒ{»wÆ

    So, as I do not know what the binary data means, I think it is not very smart to just change the path and hope everything will work.

    Has anybody faced a task similar to this? Does anybody have some ideas that may help? Maybe pointers to documentation that I missed?

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies...

    Javier Ramos

Back to the top