RE: [platform-doc-dev] doc on how to upgrade

Jonathan, thanks for your comments.  The -vm argument is used for much the same reason as -data, it eliminates uncertainty.  We have occasional bug reports from people who say, "I installed product xyz, and now Eclipse won't start".  The reason is that some application installers update the O/S path with some other version of Java that is not compatible with Eclipse (such as Java 1.2 or earlier).  Also, if a "naive" windows user does not have a Java VM installed,
the default Java VM on a Windows box is the built in Microsoft VM.  Since this VM can't run Eclipse, they fail to start.  The only way to be completely sure of what VM you're using is to use the "-vm" argument.  I'll mention this in the doc.
--

"Jonathan Gossage" <jgossage@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/26/2003 06:18 AM