Re: [platform-doc-dev] Capitalization

John Arthorne wrote:

A much trickier case is proper nouns. I believe things like "Tasks View", "File Menu", and "Export Wizard" are all proper nouns, and as such both words should always be capitalized. The documentation more commonly uses "Tasks view", "File menu", and "Export wizard", but I think this is not correct. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unless I hear otherwise I'll correct these problems where I see them.

Here is a sentence from the Workbench User Guide:
 The Navigator view provides a hierarchical view of the resources
 in the Workbench.

"Navigator" is the name of a product feature and takes a capital. Because this name also appears on a title bar, it could be marked in bold. "Workbench" is also a product name and should be capitalized; however, the name doesn't appear in a title bar, so it should not be in bold. "View" should not be in bold, as it does not appear in a title bar, but should it be capitalized? Consider this usage:
 The Navigator, Tasks, and Outline views are open...

Because the text uses "view" almost optionally ("open the Navigator" as opposed to "open the Navigator view"), I think that it would be difficult to capitalize view throughout the help without it looking a little odd in places. If you also apply bolding to the view names, capitalizing "view" is even more of a problem.

I'd suggest that the markup should be:
 The <b>Navigator</b> view provides a hierarchical view of the resources
 in the Workbench.
And if there are any long-term plans to convert to SGML or XML:
 The <span class="guilabel">Navigator</span> view provides a
 hierarchical view of the resources in the Workbench.

Mike

Back to the top