Re: [platform-doc-dev] Capitalization

It should be sentence style capitalization..."Tasks view". Use
sentence-style capitalization for all headings, subheadings, and
navigation/TOC entries, and links to related topics. Captialize only the
first word and any other words that normally require capitalization. In the
examples you give, a menu, view, or wizards are not proper names. When
documenting the user interface, match the caps that are shown in the UI. In
the examples below, the view, window, wizard word does not appear in the UI
and should stay lowercase.

I will collect as many of these style guide type issues and see what we can
pull together.

Thanks, Jeanette

Jeanette Deupree
WebSphere Information  Strategy
RTP NC
919-254-1149 (tieline 444-1149)
deupree@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Kevin McGuire"
             <Kevin_McGuire@
             ca.ibm.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                 platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             platform-doc-de                                            cc
             v-admin@eclipse
             .org                                                      bcc

                                                                   Subject
             03/18/2003               Re: [platform-doc-dev]
             02:08 PM                 Capitalization

             Please respond
             platform-doc-de

It would be good to have a style guide with these points captured.  It
doesn't have to be extensive, just a place to keep such decisions where
people can refer back to them.

I actually don't know if it should be "Tasks View" or "Tasks view", but I'm
happy with you just picking one since it means we can achieve some
consistency.

    John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
    Sent by:                                  To:
    platform-doc-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxx platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
    g                                         cc:
                                              Subject:
                                      [platform-doc-dev] Capitalization
    03/18/2003 01:44 PM
    Please respond to
    platform-doc-dev

Another area where there is inconsistency is in capitalization.  Most
section titles in the table of contents and headings within pages are
sentence case, but some aren't.  I've been converting everything to
sentence casing wherever I've seen inconsistencies, but I wanted to make
sure we agree on it.

A much trickier case is proper nouns.  I believe things like "Tasks View",
"File Menu", and "Export Wizard" are all proper nouns, and as such both
words should always be capitalized.  The documentation more commonly uses
"Tasks view", "File menu", and "Export wizard", but I think this is not
correct.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unless I hear otherwise I'll
correct these problems where I see them.

Back to the top