[platform-debug-dev] Adding codepage preferences for Memory View

Hi -

I'd like to get some feedback on a preference that I plan on adding to the
Memory View.  The Debug Platform provides a set of memory renderings.  One
of them is the ASCII rendering.  The ASCII rendering uses a hard-coded
character set/code page, namely CP1252, to convert memory to strings.  I
believe there is a need to allow user to configure the code page setting
used in the ASCII rendering.

I would like to add a preference in the Memory View to allow users to
select the code page for rendering memory to strings.  The preference would
allow user to select code pages for both ASCII and EBCDIC string
conversions. It would allow users to select any code pages that are
supported by their platform.  All renderings who renders memory to
ASCII/EBCDIC strings should respect this preference.

The ASCII rendering is going to make use of this preference when rendering
memory to text.  This allows users to see the ASCII rendering in all code
pages that are supported by their platform.  In addition, since this
preference is supposed to be shared by all "textual" renderings in the
workbench, this preference gives users a consistent code page setting
across renderings.

Please let me know what you think about this idea...  Thanks...

Samantha

Back to the top