Re: [platform-core-dev] making session tests part of the AutomatedTests suite

I think the historical reason for running session tests separately is that they required a special test application.  Now that they can be run as a suite along with other tests, my vote is to just add them to the AutomatedTests classes to make sure they always run.  I agree that it's currently too easy to forget to run session tests - I rarely think of doing it before releasing code.  Having all the tests under one suite makes it easy to validate changes before releasing. As for the time to run them, I don't think the session tests take any longer than some of the other slow resource tests.  Adding them to our suites shouldn't make a big difference.  So, my vote is to include them in AutomatedTests and don't even bother creating special suites for running session vs. non-session tests.  Someone can easily comment the session tests out of the main suite if they want to avoid running them.
--

Rafael Chaves/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/04/2005 06:16 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] making session tests part of the AutomatedTests        suite

Sometime ago we decided to have the session tests run as an independent
session suite. It was to more clearly show whether any eventual failures
happened in the (then) recently added (thus less stable) session tests or
the regular tests, and maybe also because session tests took too long to
run (they add startup+shutdown time for each test case run).

The problem with that is that it is very easy to forget to run the session
test suite (I just fixed a bug that I introduced last week and was
unnoticed until the builds started failing during the weekend). It is
already hard to remember to fire the tests in three different plug-ins.

If the reason for having them separate was performance, I suggest we keep
two separated suites, one for session and another for non-session tests,
but make AutomatedTests (the conventional master test suite) trigger both.

Any comments to the contrary?

Rafael