Re: [platform-ant-dev] Copying existing configs to use as project builders

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:34 pm, Jeff McAffer wrote:
> I second the unreasonability.
I think you misread Darin's message. :-)

> I don't know the technical reasons behind it
> however.  The copy proposal might work as a starting point but perhaps the
> near future should include referencing?

I was hoping to just gloss over that "not technically feasible" bit, but I
suppose I should explain.

The config used by a builder needs to be stored with the project so that the
builder will stay with the project when it is shared. If the config file has
to reside in the project, then we can't *truly* share the configs (files
can't be in two places at once). The best we could do is fake it by keeping
the multiple copies in synch. But this isn't possible. For example, say I
have projects Foo and Bar that share the same config. If I check out project
Foo and edit the project builder, and my friend Bob checks out project Bar
and edits the other copy of the builder, when we check Foo and Bar back into
the repository the fake synchronization will be lost.

Everyone (myself included) would like the by-reference solution to work, but
it looks to be impossible.

- Jared

Back to the top