Re: [platform-ant-dev] Copying existing configs to use as project builders

Though I'm not familiar with much of your design, I question the assertion
that the builder configuration needs to stay with the project.  "Normal"
incremental project builders are contributed by plugins, and so are never
stored with a project.  If I check my project that uses my builder into a
repository, there is no guarantee that another user checking out that
project will be able to build it.  The builder infrastructure is designed
to accomodate this scenario, and gracefully ignores builders it cannot
find.  The information in the project's build spec just needs to include
enough information to find (uniquely identify) the builder implementation.

You could take a similar approach with external tool builders.  You could
store some unique "external tool id" in the project build spec.  When the
user tries to run the builder, you look in some central place for an
external tool with that Id.  If the tool is found, you run it.  If not
found, you can silently ignore it, or if you prefer, show a warning to the
user.  Something like, "The build is trying to invoke an external tool
called "blah" that you don't have installed."  The user then knows they
have to define an external tool called "blah", or checkout a configuration
file that defines that tool.

Does that make any sense?

                      Jared Burns
                      <jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxx        To:       platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      m>                             cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject:  Re: [platform-ant-dev] Copying existing configs to use as
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         project builders
                      eclipse.org

                      12/04/2002 11:08 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:34 pm, Jeff McAffer wrote:
> I second the unreasonability.
I think you misread Darin's message. :-)

> I don't know the technical reasons behind it
> however.  The copy proposal might work as a starting point but perhaps
the
> near future should include referencing?

I was hoping to just gloss over that "not technically feasible" bit, but I
suppose I should explain.

The config used by a builder needs to be stored with the project so that
the
builder will stay with the project when it is shared. If the config file
has
to reside in the project, then we can't *truly* share the configs (files
can't be in two places at once). The best we could do is fake it by keeping

the multiple copies in synch. But this isn't possible. For example, say I
have projects Foo and Bar that share the same config. If I check out
project
Foo and edit the project builder, and my friend Bob checks out project Bar
and edits the other copy of the builder, when we check Foo and Bar back
into
the repository the fake synchronization will be lost.

Everyone (myself included) would like the by-reference solution to work,
but
it looks to be impossible.

- Jared