Re: [platform-ant-dev] feedback

>But I disagree, from the command line I can run
>(& order) multiple targets, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to do
>so in Eclipse.
This is a fair point. So then let's try to come up with
a UI that covers both the simple and the advanced case better.

The main problems I see with the current UI with regard to multiple targets
are:
*     overloading of the selection, i.e., there are two selection kinds
      inside a single view (the sticky selection for nodes I have double
      clicked and the ordinary tree selection)

*     the ordering isn't verry explicit presented and
      "ASCII-coded" only, i.e., shown by additional number suffixes in the
      lables. There is no way to manipulate the ordering directly.

The goal is to support both the simple one target case (i.e. by
double clicking a target or script) and the more advanced multi target
case.

To address this goal I suggest to separate the run order from
the target selection in the AntView. This can be achieved by introducing
a separate Run Order pane. So the Ant view would have two panes:

*     Target Selection
            the existing tree viewer with actions to:
            - run the current selection
            - append a target selection to the Run Order pane
            - add/remove build scripts
*     Run Order  (a smaller pane 1/3 of the target selection extent)
            a list/table viewer showing the selected targets with actions
to:
            - move a target up or down
            - remove a target from the run order
            - clear
            - run all (in the order as defined in the list)
Short cuts can be provided to append a target selection in the target
selection to the run order list (e.g. toolbar button in the run order pane
that copies the selection from the target selection pane or clicking with a
modifier).

Pros/cons:
-     an additional pane
-     more gestures in the multiple target case
+     less gestures for the single target case
+     the run order is explicitly represented (no ASCII coding)
+     the run order can be manipulated

Obviously another cons is the effort require to implement this...

--erich

                      "Jed Anderson"
                      <Jed_Anderson@xxxxxxx>          To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] feedback
                      eclipse.org

                      11/22/2002 07:26 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

Erich,

I agree with your points about simplifying the simple case.  Often, the
current implementation forces me to use the "power" solution when I just
want to do something very simple.

>      The main contributor for the complexity here is the support to run
>      more than one target at the same time. Having support to run more
>      than one target is interesting, but it shouldn't make my common task
more complex.
>      I wonder why a user doesn't define an additional target in
>      a script when there is the desire to run more than one target at
once.
>      Just thinking, the UI could actually provide a create target
>      action based on the currently selected targets.

A use case:

Lately I have been running tasks from within the build.xml that the PDE
generates when I do a "Create Plug-in JARs".  PDE regenerates this file
every time, and overwrites changes I make to the file.  You could argue
that this is a bug in PDE.  But I disagree, from the command line I can run
(& order) multiple targets, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to do
so in Eclipse.

jkca