Re: [photran] Cygwin gdb debugger

The debuggers visible in the "Debugger" drop down menu depend on a number of things, including your platform and which CDT plugins you have installed. Older versions of CDT had the following debuggers:

Cygwin gdb
gdb
gdb/mi
gdbserver
MinGW gdb

The "Cygwin gdb" and "gdb" debuggers are old implementations and have been removed in more recent versions of CDT (including Helios I believe). If you're still seeing "gdb" then you probably have an old CDT plugin in your workspace.

For debugging local C/C++ (and Fortran) programs, the correct choices are "gdb/mi" or "MinGW gdb". The "gdbserver" debugger is used for remote debugging, usually when the target is an embedded system. gdbserver is a light-weight server that can be run on systems with a very small amount of memory.

Photran does not provide its own debugger, but rather relies on the CDT debugger which is designed for sequential C/C++ programs. This is why debugging Fortran programs is often problematic. Unfortunately this is likely to remain the case until someone either improves the CDT debugger to work better with Photran, or creates a Fortran debugger for Photran.

Regards,
Greg