[photran] Debugging inside modules and idb

Hi,

this is an already discussed subject but I've some problems with the effective use of Intel Debugger idb.

If using a program composed of different modules, the debugging information seems not to propagate through modules (typical error is "No source available for "mod2_mp_file2_() " " when a breakpoint is placed in a module "mod2" of a file "file2").

Solution given here (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/photran/msg00184.html) and re-used there (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/photran/msg00410.html) says to use the Intel debugger instead of the debugger provided by eclipse to avoid this problem.

A script containing the following instructions :
#! /bin/bash
exec /path_to_debugger_executable/idb -gdb "$@"
should be used in the panel "Debugger Configuration", tab Debugger. The debugger should be gdb/mi and then in tab Main of "Debugger options" the box "GDB debugger" should be filled with the path to the above script (if well understood). I have also unchecked the box "Stop on startup at Main".

Using this procedure, it gives the following error :
Error creating session
Target is not responding (timed out)
 Target is not responding (timed out)
 Target is not responding (timed out)

So I don't know where I've missed some useful (or implied) information...

My configuration is : Eclipse 3.4.2 / CDT 5.0.2 / Photran 4.0.5 and Intel Debugger 9.1-29 (running on 64bits so in fact idb-e is used in the script). The OS is CentOS. The program is compiled with an handwritten makefile and Ifort and use these compilation options : -O0 -g.

Regards,
Nicolas

ps : this mail is a copy of an invisible (in the photran list) html mail I've sent on 18/12/09

Back to the top