Re: [photran] building photran

On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:55 AM, Stefan Kurzbach wrote:

Hello Jake,

I have managed to build the current HEAD from CVS
(dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/technology). Remember that you are doing a
plug-in build, so adding projects to the build path is not the right way to go. Anyhow, everything should be set-up correctly already. The steps
I have done are the following:

1. Install Eclipse 3.4 for RCP/Plug-in Developers
2. Via "Help/Software Updates..." install the C/C++ Development Tools.
The sources are not required to build Photran as mentioned in the old
instructions.
3. Check out the Photran projects from CVS. You need the following 13
projects which are all version 4.0.3 (please somebody correct me if I am
missing something):
org.eclipse.photran-feature
org.eclipse.photran.cdtinterface
org.eclipse.photran.core
org.eclipse.photran.errorparsers.xlf
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.core
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.gnu.ui
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.intel.ui
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.ui
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.xlf.ui
org.eclipse.photran.ui
org.eclipse.photran.intel-feature
org.eclipse.photran.core.intel
org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.intel.ui

You have org.eclipse.photran.managedbuilder.intel.ui entered twice in the list. So there are 12 items.

4. make sure everything is built correctly
5. Via "File/Export.../Plug-in Development/Deployable Features" export
the 2 listed Photran features to a temporary directory.

What you have is the list without refactoring support. On the other hand, refactoring support depends on >= Java 5 so if you can't use that then maybe the list that Stefan has is the one you should use.

Here are the list of files needed for refactoring support (check them out from CVS)

org.eclipse.photran.vpg-feature
org.eclipse.photran.ui.vpg
org.eclipse.photran.core.vpg

If you want to install these features in Eclipse I suggest downloading
Eclipse 3.4 for C/C++ Developers and then use the Update Manager. Add a
new local site (your temporary directory) and select the 2 Photran
features. This is the savest way to get them installed.

A quicker way might be to just drop the .jar files generated from File>Export...>Plug-in Development>Deployable Features into the dropin folder in the directory where you installed Eclipse 3.4 for C/C++ Development. You should two features: base photran feature and the photran refactoring feature.

Then there next time when you restart Eclipse 3.4 for C/C++ Development it will pick those files up. This is part of the new Equinox p2 system for Eclipse 3.4. See <http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Getting_Started#Dropins > for more information on how to get this to work.

This is a *quick* and *temporary* solution until the next beta is released. I'll update the cvs-guide with these instructions for deploying Photran.

Can anybody say when the next beta release is planned?

Have a good day,
Stefan

--
Nicholas Chen