Re: [photran] how to install photran-4.0-beta1.zip

Bob -

After reading through your documentation, I realized (and this is the silly part) that I was just missing the correct directory structure for extensions. I had never seen, nor heard of, a .eclipseextension file. It seems to be required in the eclipse/ folder, but it installed if I just did a "touch .eclipseextension" !. For other neophytes like me these are the steps it took on linux:

  1. cd {$LocalExtensionsFolder} where you want to keep track of manual
     things, like archived sites and extensions (like Photran).
  2. mkdir -p phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse
  3. cd phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse
  4. create text file .eclipseextension  (can be nil, but the following
     is for bookkeeping) like:

   name=Photran
   id=org.eclipse.photran_feature
   version=4.0.0

  5.  unzip the downloaded phototran-4.0-beta1.zip, so that
     phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse also contains features/ and plugins/
     directories
  6. In the eclipse SDK, select Help/Software Updates/Manager
     Configuration and click on "Add an Extension Location"
  7. Point to {$LocalExtensionsFolder}/phototran-4.0-beta1, click on
     the +Add button and click OK
  8. eclipse will then prompt you to restart
  9. You should now have a new Perspective, Fortran
 10. You should see this extension if you go to: Help/Software
     Updates/Manage Configuration and navigate to the Photran extension
     in the left-hand pane. If you higlight it and select "Show
     Properties" it should contain information as contained in the
     .eclipseextension file in step 4 (but you can put anything, or
     NOTHING, in there and it will still know what it is).

Thanks again
Karl

Bob Hoffman wrote:
Karl, it's not a silly question (as you'll see from the attachments)...