From: photran-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:photran-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Karl Rudnick
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:29 PM
To: Photran Information
Cc: James Trischman
Subject: Re: [photran] how to install photran-4.0-beta1.zip

Bob -

After reading through your documentation, I realized (and this is the
silly part) that I was just missing the correct directory structure for
extensions. I had never seen, nor heard of, a .eclipseextension file. It
seems to be required in the eclipse/ folder, but it installed if I just
did a "touch .eclipseextension" !. For other neophytes like me these are
the steps it took on linux:

   1. cd {$LocalExtensionsFolder} where you want to keep track of manual
      things, like archived sites and extensions (like Photran).
   2. mkdir -p phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse
   3. cd phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse
   4. create text file .eclipseextension  (can be nil, but the following
      is for bookkeeping) like:

    name=Photran
    id=org.eclipse.photran_feature
    version=4.0.0

   5.  unzip the downloaded phototran-4.0-beta1.zip, so that
      phototran-4.0-beta1/eclipse also contains features/ and plugins/
      directories
   6. In the eclipse SDK, select Help/Software Updates/Manager
      Configuration and click on "Add an Extension Location"
   7. Point to {$LocalExtensionsFolder}/phototran-4.0-beta1, click on
      the +Add button and click OK
   8. eclipse will then prompt you to restart
   9. You should now have a new Perspective, Fortran
  10. You should see this extension if you go to: Help/Software
      Updates/Manage Configuration and navigate to the Photran extension
      in the left-hand pane. If you higlight it and select "Show
      Properties" it should contain information as contained in the
      .eclipseextension file in step 4 (but you can put anything, or
      NOTHING, in there and it will still know what it is).

Thanks again
Karl