From: photran-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:photran-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Karl Rudnick
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:21 AM
To: Photran Information
Cc: James Trischman
Subject: Re: [photran] how to install photran-4.0-beta1.zip

Thanks, Bob

I really appreciate such a considerate, detailed response. btw, this is
linux (there was only a .zip for the Feature-only download) but some
people are also using it under XP/cygwin.

I'm sure I'll be able to work through this.

My first reaction, though, is that I'm surprised it's not packaged like
everything else. At least a site archive would be nice.

oh well and thanks again!
Karl

Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Karl, it's not a silly question (as you'll see from the attachments)...
>
> Just went through this last month & I've created a summary of the
procedures
> I followed.  Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just installing the
> Photran plug-in (even if you do the Photran/Eclipse "Full Version",
there's
> still a bunch of "stuff" that needs to be done).  It isn't clear from your
> e-mail whether you're Windows, Linux, Solaris or Mac (I guess it's either
> Windows or Solaris since you ref. a zip file) -- I can only speak to
Windows
> XP.  The attached (Word / text) files summarize my Windows procedures for
> installing Photran into MyEclipse in MinGW/gFortran, MinGW/g95 and
> cygwin/g95 environments.  If you have an existing Eclipse 3.2.2
> installation, then just ignore the MyEclipse references (except you'll
need
> to be sure you have CDT 3.1.2 installed before all else).  If you already
> have msys, msysDTK, MinGW, cygwin, perl, gdb, g95, and/or gFortran (or
some
> other Fortran compiler) installed, then you can just skip over those
> parts...
>
> Occasionally (haven't figured out the conditions yet), there's an
> org.eclipse.jface error reported in the workspace .log file on startup --
> seems to have something to do with closing MyEclipse while having the
> MyEclipse J2EE Development perspective "waiting on the porch" (i.e.
present
> on the upper-right tab but not active) and having a Fortran project (with
> a makefile) open.  Yea, sounds off-the-wall.  Don't think its had an
effect
> on anything (yet).
>
> Be sure to back up everything before you start -- it's easier to just
start
> over than to try to back out of (a series of) errors.  I had to start over
> many times...
>
> Hope this helps more than it hurts...
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Hoffman
> reh@xxxxxxxxxxx

other directory with a space in the name.
> 	Photran 4.0 beta 1 requires Eclipse 3.2.2 and CDT 3.1.2 (=>MyEclipse
5.1.1)

> Photran/cygwin/g95 installation:
> (1)Install cygwin in C:/cygwin (from http://www.cygwin.com/, click
"Install or Update Now!")
> 	Click "next" (accept defaults) until the "select dialog" dialog box
appears.
> 	Expand the "devel" sub-directory, click (include) "binutils",
"mingw-runtime", "perl", "gdb" and "make".
> 	Click "next" and "finish".
> (2)Add cygwin bin & lib directories to your system PATH and LIBRARY_PATH
variables  (Control Panel>System>
> 		Advanced>Environment Variables)
> 	PATH  ...;C:\cygwin\bin
> 	LIBRARY_PATH  .;C:\cygwin\lib
> (3)Install g95 (from http://ftp.g95.org/#V0.9 )
> 	Scroll down to the "Windows" g95-x86-cygwin.tgz section (bottom of
page).
> 	Download g95-x86-cygwin.tgz to root cygwin directory (C:/cygwin).
> 	Open a DOS Command Prompt window and navigate to C:/cygwin.
> 	Enter cygwin.bat to open the cygwin command environment
> 	Enter "cd /".
> 	Enter "tar -xvzf g95-x86-cygwin.tgz".
> 	Exit the cygwin environment and close the DOS Command Window.
> (4)Add g95 bin directory to your system PATH variable:
> 	PATH.;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> (5)Make sure a 1.5 or better JVM is installed
> (6)Install MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 5.1.1 GA "All in One" (which
includes CDT 3.1.2, from

http://www.myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewsdownload&sid=1
5)
http://www.eclipse.org/photran/download.php )
> (8)Unzip the Eclipse_Photran feature into an "Eclipse Extension Location"
(e.g. into C:/Photran_4.0_beta_1)
> 	The resulting structure should look like:
> 		/Photran_4.0_beta_1
> 			/eclipse
> 			.eclipseextension
> 				/features
> 					Photran sub-directories
> 				/plugins
> 					Photran sub-directories and jars
> (9)Open MyEclipse and migrate to the "Manage Configuration" window
(Help>Software Updates>Manage Configuration)
> 	In the right-hand pane, click "Add an Extension Location".
> 	Migrate to the Photran_4.0_beta_1 directory and click OK.
> 	MyEclipse will restart.
> (10) Read/run the examples in ftp://ftp.swcp.com/pub/wlt/F/photran.pdf
(replace any references to "F" with "g95" or "gFortran").
> 	This reference includes suggestions for creating new Fortran
packages.
> (11) Another useful reference I've found:
http://slappy.cs.uiuc.edu/fall06/cs492/Group1/  and the "Final Report"
referenced
> 		therein.
>

> Photran/MinGW/g95 installation:
> (1)Install msysDTK (from http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml#hdr2), which
will also install msys (defaults to

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries, mingw build)
> (4)Add mingw and gfortran to your system PATH and LIBRARY_PATH variables:
> 	PATH  ...;C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\msys\1.0\bin\MinGW\bin;C:\gfortran\bin
> 	LIBRARY_PATH .;C:\msys\1.0\MinGW\lib ;C:\gfortran\lib
> (5).(11)As above.
>

> To facilitate moving from one compile environment to the other, make the
following system variables and values:

> 	PATHCygWin = .;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> 	PATHMinGWG95 = .;C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\msys\1.0\MinGW\bin
> 	PATHMinGWGFortran =
.;C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\msys\1.0\MinGW\bin;C:\gfortran\bin
> 	LIBRARY_PATHCygWin = .;C:\cygwin\lib
> 	LIBRARY_PATHMinGWG95 = .;C:\msys\1.0\MinGW\lib
> 	LIBRARY_PATHMinGWGFortran = .; C:\msys\1.0\MinGW\lib;C:\gfortran\lib
>
> 	and copy the proper value into the PATH and LIBRARY_PATH variable
values as needed.

Karl H. Rudnick                  karl.rudnick@xxxxxxxx  e-mail
Technology Research Group                 858-826-6468   voice
SAIC, MS/C4                               858-826-6587     fax
10260 Campus Point Drive                  858-395-0227    cell
San Diego, CA   92121