Re: [photran] German umlauts in Photran's 3.1.1 editor, comment/uncomment feature

Jeffrey Overbey schrieb:
[...]
- A very nice feature of SciTE is to comment and uncomment text blocks
to exclude code from compiling. I use this feature quite often.
Unfortunately I can not find this feature in Photran.

Try selecting a block of text and hitting Ctrl+/
There used to be a "Comment/Uncomment" item in the popup menu, but it
seems to have disappeared.  (Bugzilla 136757)

Fine. That works.

IMO Photran is a very nice IDE but SciTE has some features I would not
like to do without. A compromise would be to setup Photran with SciTE as
its editor.

If I may ask, what other features are missing?  We are not familiar with
SciTE but probably should be... and we are always looking for ways to
improve...

You can find SciTE at <www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html>.

Additionally there are two features I miss:

1. parenthesis highlighting
   If your cursor is just behind a closing parenthesis, the opening
   parenthesis is marked temporarily. This feature avoids missing
   parenthesis in nested parenthesis structures.

2. Intrinsic highlighting
   E.g. ABS(), RESHAPE(), etc. are highlighted in a different color.
   You can see at first view if you made a typo.

Generally I like the syntax highlighting of SciTE but this is purely a matter of taste. And IMO the highlighting of Photran is quite good.

BTW, is it possible to commit command-line redirections to the program, e.g. myprog < test.dat? I know how to commit arguments in Eclipse/Photran but this don't work with command-line redirections.

But enough of criticizing. In Photran I like to jump to a routine by clicking on the name in the outline window and the error handling/marking is much better than in SciTE. Furthermore SciTE has not a sophisticated project management.

If you work with mkmf <www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~vb/mkmf.html> (for automated Makefile building) and the external tools feature Photran is a very nice and comfortable IDE. In SciTE you need to edit a text configuration file to interface mkmf with it, but it is a bit more customizable and I am able to build a program by pressing a shortcut only (without chasing the mouse).

Best regards,

Hani

PS: Not only German umlauts confuse the syntax highlighting. If you open a F77 source file containing the non-standard $ format letter the same confusion occurs.

Back to the top