[phoenix-epic-dev] Survey Results

This is basically the final results of the EPIC survey as there are only a few hours left.

I would declare 689 responses a success, thanks to everyone who worked hard on the questions -- the results are fantastic.  The composition of the people who did the survey looks pretty good to me, I think we hit the right audience.

There were 198 responses to the open ended "what would you like added to EPIC" question.  About 60 were nonsensical comments, but some people made multiple suggestions on different topics, so in the end there were about ~160 quality suggestions.  These were nuggets that I think are the key findings and main value of the survey.  I took a stab at categorizing the comments, grouping them and massing the messages.  This is very much my own way of organizing and thinking about the comments and there was definitely some subjective interpretation involved.  Feel free to massage the data as you wish, you can see what I did in the XLS attached.

So, here are what I noted:
- There was an overwhelming (~30% of the 158) request to offer better categorization, tagging and filtering of the plugins.  Many people (8) asked to be able to categorize by license, and many (6) wanted to be able to categorize by commercial or not.
 - About 18% said they wanted a better layout and webdesign.  People used words like "stale", "dead", "out of date", "not lifeful".  In other words, a slicker feel and a stronger feeling the site is active.
- About 16% Also said they wanted a lot more info and details on the plugin pages.  Tutorials was mentioned 7 times.  Screenshots 4, podcasts 4.  About five people said they wanted to see more reviews and testimonials of the projects.  Per-plugin WIKI pages was also suggested multiple times.  Basically, people want the plugin pages to be a live, fresh looking area with lots of links and supporting info.
 - About 13% said they wanted more search options - this actually fits in somewhat with the tagging and categorization (to the point I thought of collapsing them together).  Basically, people want to have lots more categorization types and then want to be able to search and filter easily by them.  People also complained search was hard to find and not prominent enough.
 - I was surprised by the prevalence and consistency of this request - about 8% said they wanted to see an EPIC update site that integrated with the update manager.  People want to be able to be able to automatically update and link all their EPIC plugins from a single update site.
 - The rest of the results:
   - 6 people suggested some sort of RSS feed for plugin of the day and/or plugin updates
   - 4 people suggested they wanted measures to ensure rankings were not abused and were done openly
   - 4 people asked for more plugins
   - 2 wanted a Rich Client EPIC viewer :)
   - 2 wanted EPIC to host projects a-la-sourceforge
One off suggestions:
   - Only plugins, everything else on eclipse.org
   - Better promotion of EPIC on eclipse.org
   - Plugin bundles
   - Work with other portals on std categorizations
   - Events Calendar
So, when I correlate this to our current issues:
 - It does not appear many people are worried about the rankings as only 4 made requests related to making them "not be abused".  No indications of any negativity.
 - We hit the nail on the head of Improving usability as our #1 theme, the community is backing that up significantly, and we now have lots of specific suggestions on how to accomplish this.

Cheers,

  - Don

--
Donald Smith  donald.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx