Re: [phoenix-epic-dev] analysis of epic voting

Very interesting!

Based on some of the conversations about the EPIC ranking, I asked Nathan to dump all of the votes into an Excel spreadsheet, so I could do some analysis. The entire history contains over 22K votes, so to make things simple in Excel I just used the last 12 months worth of data, which include 9843 votes.

Here is a summary of my analysis:

- 80% of the votes come from the outside;

Outside voting makes it easy for someone who is visiting your site to vote while your plugin is fresh in their mind.

20% come from anonymous users; there were only 33 registered uses that votes and it represented just 40 votes.

I'm not surprised. The 2Y site, which requires registration to vote, gets very, very few votes. Any sort of registration could easily eliminate >90% of the votes.

- 69% of the votes were of value 10; 11% were of value 9; 7% were 8;

87% at 8 or above. That is also to be expected. Most Eclipse plugins are actually pretty good. If you take the time to try one and further take the time to vote on it, odds are you liked it.

5% were 1

Or really, really hated it. ;-)

Any way to find out historically which votes came from a proxy (or might have come from a proxy)?

- 76% of the votes were cast against just 10 plug-ins

Did that correlate with outside voting? Popular plugins with outside voting set up get a lot of votes.

; in total 250 plug-ins received at least one vote

Every plugin has at least one author. ;-)

I believe EPIC now has over 630 plug-ins

Nice!

- approx. 94% of IP address just voted for one plug-in; only 15 IP addresses voted for 5 or more plug-ins.

How did this correlate with inside or outside voting? I would think that most outside votes would come from folks voting on a single plugin. Inside voters are much more likely to vote for more than one plugin.

One IP address voted for 17 plug-ins.

Which could easily be multiple people behind the same corporate router.

- there were only about 500 votes that had comments included.

About 5% of all votes and 25% of inside votes! It would be nice to get that number up, but it isn't critical.

If you have any questions or queries that you would like me to run let me know. The speadsheet I am using is over 21MB. I can try to put it on the wiki but I don't think I our mail server will allow be to e-mail it to people.

In conclusion, I don't think we have a huge voting fraud issue.

Agreed.

I would like to see us set up a process for handling complaints, so we can be responsive to individual issues.

Yes. Some process (like eBay's) that can cause individual cases to be reviewed and acted on (which might include removing one or more votes for an IP address) would be useful.

The earlier proposal to disallow proxy voting should also go forward.

In the long term, I think it benefits the entire community to have votes cast for a wider selection of plug-ins, more comments attached to votes and more people voting for more than 1 plug-in. I hope these are some things we can think about over the long term.

Increasing the number of comments would be nice. If we change the outside voting process so that EPiC serves up the voting fields on the external site, a comment field could be included. One of the down sides to current outside voting is that comments aren't captured. If outside voters could also enter comments, I am guessing that the number of comments would go up dramatically.

-Eric

Back to the top