[phoenix-epic-dev] analysis of epic voting

Based on some of the conversations about the EPIC ranking, I asked Nathan to dump all of the votes into an Excel spreadsheet, so I could do some analysis.   The entire history contains over 22K votes, so to make things simple in Excel I just used the last 12 months worth of data, which include 9843 votes.

Here is a summary of my analysis:

- 80% of the votes come from the outside; 20% come from anonymous users; there were only 33 registered uses that votes and it represented just 40 votes.

- 69% of the votes were of value 10; 11% were of value 9; 7% were 8; 5% were 1

- 76% of the votes were cast against just 10 plug-ins; in total 250 plug-ins received at least one vote; I believe EPIC now has over 630 plug-ins

- approx. 94% of IP address just voted for one plug-in; only 15 IP addresses voted for 5 or more plug-ins. One IP address voted for 17 plug-ins.  This was actually the IP address reported by Mik.

- there were only about 500 votes that had comments included.

If you have any questions or queries that you would like me to run let me know.  The speadsheet I am using is over 21MB.   I can try to put it on the wiki but I don’t think I our mail server will allow be to e-mail it to people.

In conclusion, I don’t think we have a huge voting fraud issue.   I would like to see us set up a process for handling complaints, so we can be responsive to individual issues.

In the long term, I think it benefits the entire community to have votes cast for a wider selection of plug-ins, more comments attached to votes and more people voting for more than 1 plug-in.   I hope these are some things we can think about over the long term.

Comments/Thoughts?

Ian

Back to the top