RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] FW: bogus rankings on EPIC

Title: Re: [phoenix-epic-dev] FW: bogus rankings on EPIC

Thanks for your comments Mike and Nathan

Regarding this particular case, what alerted me is that when watching the rank of Mylar, I noticed that it and “Free Marker IDE” were bumped out of the top-10 by two instantiations products within a day.  Both products had mostly 9 or 10/10 ratings, but under 100.   So it was easy to drop them out of the top 10 this way.  I recalled noticing the same IP adress’ vote getting “Data Service and Query Builder Tool” out of the top 10.  Then I noticed that they had voted down non-Instantiations plug-ins multiple times, and voted up Instantiations plug-ins multiple times.  I originally submitted this case as “highly suspect”.  But when I saw a 3rd vote for CodePro AnalytiX last week it crossed my threshold for ballot stuffing and I consider the entry bogus.

The problem is that there is no reliable way to automatically detect such abuse, or to determine definitely whether the above case is abuse (other than the multiple-votes violation which the web app should detect).

I think that EPIC ratings should play an important role in identifying helping the Eclipse ecosystem avoid the sourceforge.net bug of having more noise than signal in the project listings.  But long term I’m doubtful that the current scheme will work.  “Wisdom of crowds” and collaborative filtering schemes work when ‘voters’ have a non-trivial incentive to cast a well-informed vote.  Some systems use $1 payments, some reputation, and others like Amazon get it for free by piggybacking on people’s purchases being informed.  The EPIC scheme makes uninformed votes trivial to make (e.g. someone uses the wrong update site to install an Instantiations product and ranks it down as a result).  It also makes bogus votes trivial to make, e.g. I can sit on one of the dozens of free proxy services like proxify.com and rate down a product without ever being detected.  Considering the relatively slow rate of voting on EPIC, such abuse can easily skew the accuracy with which EPIC communicates the community’s collective perception.

I apologize for not having mined any past discussions of this.  Off-hand here are some suggestions that could make EPIC rankings be more robust meaningful:

  1. Provide incentive to make an informed ranking: require a valid eclipse.org identity for the vote (e.g. Bugzilla/Wiki login).  The downside is that will be a barrier to some, e.g. those that don’t want to take the trouble to do a quick sign-up.  But those people are much less likely to cast an informed vote.
  2. Introduce a cost: require a non-blank comment to be submitted.  Single word comments can be accepted, but for many the reputation factor introduced by (1) will be incentive to submit informed comments.
  3. Factor in time: discard rankings older than 12 months, since tools and opinions change.  This could provide a smooth migration off the old scheme onto the new scheme, since products with a high number of good ratings won’t want to discard the old rankings.
  4. Consider scaling by number of votes: the more votes, the more information there is (e.g. Netwiser should not be above MyEclipse right now).  I recall there being set formulas for this but an expert on voting would need to chime in on choosing the right one.

As usual with a message this long, I feel like I should be typing it into a bugs.eclipse.org report ;)  Let me know if you create one.

Cheers,

Mik

--

Mik Kersten, http://kerstens.org/mik