From: phoenix-epic-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-epic-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Taylor
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 2:16 PM
To: The EPIC component of Phoenix
Subject: RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] FW: bogus rankings on EPIC

I, in no way see this as an Instantiations issue.  It is very unfortunate that the example Mik forward might make it seem that way but I don't think it was the intention.  I know you have a lot of passion about EPIC and want it to be a legitimate resource for the Eclipse community.

Thanks, Ian, but I can't help but take it a bit personally. Instantiations has been on the forefront of improving and policing the rating system since before we transferred EPIC to the Foundation. There have been numerous examples of unsavory voting, but the one that got widespread visibility was ours. I'm not sure why this particular complaint had to get the wide attention it did, but that's water under the bridge and its stimulating good discussion.

One of my employees who knows how strongly we feel about this suggested we put out an internal bounty for anyone inside the company who is involved in EPIC voting...I think we'll hold off on that for now. ;-)

I think there are a couple of things that we need to resolve: 1) what is our policy for handling these individual requests,

I would suggest that the complaints be logged by Nathan and then forwarded to the accused company...unless the questionable voting appears to be "automated" in which case I would immediately call it to the attention of the EPIC Council for possible action. If the accused company can't refute the accusation and it happens again, then maybe we should talk about blocking IP addresses from the rating process.

2) do we believe this is a legitimate voting and who makes the decision and

Speaking legalistically, there are no rules against this type of voting (at least that I know of) so there is no real punishable "offense", and it follows that there's no decision to make.

I suggest that we use the process I described above and try letting EPIC "listers" police themselves. Otherwise we have to try to get into the minds of the rater and that's very difficult. For example, in the list of votes Mik submitted is one for his project, Mylar. No one at Instantiations sees Mylar as competitive, so there's really no reason to consider that vote (a "4") anything but a legitimate comment from one of our employees who looked at Mylar...but who knows? The ""10's" and "1's" might be easier to interpret negatively, but...?

3) is there a way to restrict this type of voting in the future.

Very difficult, as we've discussed before. We want to encourage many votes and not do anything to discourage a legitimate rater. Both goals I fully support, but they are a bit in opposition to each other.

I would prefer we don't just delete the votes from this specific incident, since I don't think it solves the real issue.

I can understand the "purity" of your position, but if the goal is to have credible ratings and the company responsible for creating a particular vote or set of votes agrees to have them removed then I think we should consider doing it. It should be harder for the company/plug-in being rated to get votes thrown out, but there should be a process by which the EPIC Council looks at such requests and makes a determination.

My two cents,

MikeT