RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] Re: Current Votes for EPIC Themes andPriorities

Title: RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] Re: Current Votes for EPIC Themes a
Sorry I was not more specific. I was referring to the proposal about limiting negative votes.   If someone wants to give multiple negative votes that should be their decision.

I would disagree with this...its not "OK" for someone to consciously/viciously decide to depress the rating of a competitor...and that has happened.

Just as we encourage multiple positive votes.

I don't think we encourage this, nor should we. We might want to put a "blanket" limitation on voting (high or low). To me the key is to encourage people to express their "honest" opinions, good or bad, but to inhibit gaming the system for competitive advantage.

I am concerned that if we restrict negative votes it will be perceived that we only want nice things said at EPIC.  Also, won't limiting negative vote to be 1-3 just push the limit to having people use 4 as the negative vote?

In terms of transparency, I did not mean how the council operates or how EPIC operates.  I meant the transparency in the actual voting.   Right now, if someone goes in and gives lots of negative votes, there is no way to see it is the same person, except by IP address, which I don't find that use friendly.   If we are concerned about people gaming the system, I don't think we can do it through rules.  We need to make it more transparent that someone is doing so.  The only way I think we can do that is via registration.

I guess, I don't really see how the second recommendation improves the situation?

Ian Skerrett
Director of Marketing
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Tel: 613-224-9461  ext. 227