RE: [phoenix-dev] First steps towards a better eclipse.org website

We have added Google Analytics to EPIC and Eclipse Live and I agree it gives interesting results.   We just did it last week, so we still need to wait a bit.   I would like to add it to eclipse.org so we can understand better how people use our site.  That is the next step.

From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nick Boldt
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:54 AM
To: ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx; For developers on the new Eclipse.org website project.; Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Subject: Re: [phoenix-dev] First steps towards a better eclipse.org website

Have you ever used Google Analytics? It's meant to track conversion rates for ad campaigns, but I've used it to see what the traffic patterns are on sites I've built -- entry points, exit points, click tracks (# pages in a trail & visit duration), and of course the usual stuff like # of visitors, # of page hits & geoIP data.

Setup is really easy -- you add a chunk of html (<script> ... </script>) in your pages (eg., the Phoenix header), and voom, you have data.

I suggest installing this & waiting a month. That way you have a baseline from which to experiment with new campaigns / pages / designs / flows, in order to quantify changes.

Might also be useful to have different sites w/ different foci & branding, in order to keep things compartmentalized. For example, live.eclipse houses all the A/V stuff. Perhaps you might want to further split into community.eclipse, library.eclipse, and foundation.eclipse?

Nick