Re: [phoenix-dev] First steps towards a better eclipse.org website

Title: New Page 1
Indeed, the time has come for a Phoenix 2.0.  Our current design and layout are about 3 years old.  They have served us well (sort of) and I thing we all agree it's time to push forward.

I think many people will be busy this quarter for Ganymede, but I think we should start planning now for a new site design / layout / architecture.

I will schedule a Phoenix team call (we haven't had one in a long time), and  I'll put up discussion topics on the wiki shortly.  Stay tuned.

Denis

Ian Skerrett wrote:

I think this is a great discussion.  J   To add to this maybe we should also discuss the objectives of the site.   As you mentioned, we don’t have anything to convert but I see the site providing the following objectives (not in order):

  1. Make it easy for our community to access the different Eclipse project technology.
  2. Be an information source on how to use the project technology.
  3. Promote the wider Eclipse ecosystem and be a value for our Eclipse member organizations.
  4. Provide the infrastructure to support the Eclipse projects.

In addition to some of your ideas, I would suggest we could also measure.

  1. Number of unique users to our site  (new and returning users).   We want to encourage returning users.
  2. Length of time they spend on the site  -  Longer means they are getting the useful information or they are struggling to find stuff .  This might be dependant on the pages they are visiting.  For instance, if they go to the download page it should be quick.   If they go to project pages (ie they are looking for information) they it might be longer. We might want to think of use cases for this.
  3. Number of pages visited.
  4. Overall satisfaction with the site (yes we don’t measure conversions but I would hope the goal of the site is to be a useful information source.)