Re: [phoenix-dev] New Phoenix Committer

Ian (and all the phoenix-devs),

I am not sure why you are creating a higher standard for Nathan.  When Mike nominated Donald to be a committer you did not have these concerns?

It's not about Nathan versus Donald. It's about whether I was paying attention or not (to be honest, I wasn't when the Donald nomination went through) and about the effort this year to return the quality of various Eclipse project things (committers, releases, APIs, etc) to the level of quality that everyone at Eclipse has signed up for.

Regarding your suggestions to move forward, why is it not good enough to have the discussion on a public mailing list?

I'm confused - isn't this (phoenix-dev) a public mailing list?

  A lot of the work done on the web site is content related and we have not been entering bugzilla requests for these types of things.  Starting to enter bugzilla requesst just to have Nathan voted as a committer seems artificial and bureaucratic.

I can see your point, but that's the way the process works - we need to have a public trail for others to be able to evaluate a potential new committer. Being a committer on an Eclipse project is a big deal; it should not be rushed. Being a committer means that your work no longer needs to be reviewed.

Regardless, here is what I believe Nathan has done and I believe it is available for all to review.

2. Denis is out of the office but he did check-in the code for the updates Nathan did to these pages:  http://www.eclipse.org/community/rcp.php, http://www.eclipse.org/community/rcpos.php, http://www.eclipse.org/community/rcpcp.php.   I also reviewed these pages before they were checked in.

But until you said this on this list, nobody except you and Denis knew this, right? So it wasn't done in public.

3. Nathan has been working with Susan on the RSS feeds and a community bulletin.   One example is http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20060309cb_elections.php.

But again, the work wasn't done in public.

4. Nathan will be doing a number of pages for the Eclipse Awards.  I will review them and commit them next week.  Unfortunately they can not go public until March 21, for obvious reasons.

P.S. You realize that if you commit them next week they become public, right? Because the CVS is publically readable.

Bjorn, are there specific things you would like Nathan to work on, so you can review his work?

As you can tell by querying bugzilla, I am trying to field all the incoming Phoenix bugs that Nathan is fixing and applying and reviewing the patches. I am trying to be very proactive about reviewing his work (both the patches I apply and the patches that others apply) so that I can gather enough data to remove my veto.

I understand that you are frustrated. The bar is being raised (back to where it once was) for all the projects.
- Bjorn

Back to the top