Re: [pde-ui-dev] Understanding Product Editor Validation

The validating builders create an ErrorReporter to report errors.  For example, the Manifest validation builder creates a ManifestErrorReporter.  I believe all our ErrorReporters inherit from XMLErrorReporter (I know most do).  This XMLErrorReporter class contains a few "report" functions.  These function will go through and place a marker on the file/resource being validated.

From here, the Platform will handle the UI rendering of the error/warning.  PDE never really triggers the display, only creates an IMarker on the resource and the Platform takes care of the rest.

Hope this helps

Brian Bauman
    IBM Software Group - Austin, TX
    Eclipse Committer
    baumanbr@xxxxxxxxxx
    (512) 838 -2938 (T/L 678-2938)

Martin.Scheerer@xxxxxxx
Sent by: pde-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/28/2006 07:23 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse PDE UI developers list." <pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[pde-ui-dev] Understanding Product Editor Validation

Hello PDE-UI Team,

I am currently developing an eclipse forms application. I need some input validation like in the Product Editor. I looked at the code and I understand most of it, but I can not find the lines where the Error/Warning messages are created.

As an example:
In class
WindowImagesSection in method createClient() all the inputs for different image file names are generated. Subclasses of AbstractFormValidator check their content. When there is no such file a error message is displayed. But where is the code to display the message (it smoothly fades in just where the page heading is, very nice ;-) ? I know how the String is constructed but I can not find the graphical representation an the logic triggering the display...

I hope my question is not completely off-topic...

Thank you,

Martin