Re: [pde-dev] Incorrect CVS details, project summary, etc.

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:36 -0600, Curtis Windatt wrote:
> The project summary is in a bad state, partially because of the new
> theme, but also because the information is out of date.  I've updated
> it, so hopefully it works better.

Thanks, that helps resolve the confusion.

> The getting involved page already explains the step to check out the
> projects from the repository:

That assumes the Eclipse IDE is being used. In my case I'm writing GNU
make scripts for packaging (debian/rules to be precise) which has to use
the cvs command-line client to fetch and build from source.

Being able to quickly build debian binary packages from latest CVS
source means the many keen Eclipse users on Ubuntu can help support the
Eclipse projects with bug-reports for development snapshots - current
Ubuntu packages are still back on 3.2.2.

Thanks to your clarification on the location and several other
projects/modules that needed a tweak earlier I figured out the format
should be:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cvsroot/eclipse checkout pde/apitools/org.eclipse.pde.api.tools

The key issue being the project 'root' (pde) is in the CVS module
parameter, not the repository URI.

In another case (Orbit bundles) each external version is kept in a
separate branch in CVS, with HEAD effectively empty. That requires a
branch tag too:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/tools checkout -r v2_5 org.eclipse.orbit/javax.servlet

Thanks again,

TJ.