From: TJ <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 29/01/2009 07:23 PM
Subject: [pde-dev] Incorrect CVS details, project summary, etc.

I'm currently creating a build-script to create Ubuntu/Debian Eclipse
packages from CVS sources. I've been hindered by a lack of correct
project documentation, especially relating to the correct CVS location.

The project summary

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=eclipse.pde

shows a list of components with links, most of which return a 404 Not
Found error. The sub-projects links also give either a bad response or
apparently out-of-date information.

(These problems carry forward to the PDE 'home' and related pages, too.
For example, the PDE-UI Getting Involved page:
http://www.eclipse.org/pde/pde-ui/get_involved.php )

The project summary page also contains a list of CVS URIs that are for
the old /cvsroot/eclipse location with no indication the project has
relocated.

The link to cvsweb ("browseable on the web") goes to the *old* viewcvs
location with no obvious way to access the new CVS location.

I dug around in the old org.eclipse.pde.* modules and eventually found
in /cvsroot/eclipse/org.eclipse.pde.api.tools/readme.txt

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.pde.api.tools/readme.txt?view=markup

that it says the project has moved to:

dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse/pde

By guessing and typing random URLs I *think* I've found it via viewcvs
at:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/pde/

However, trying to use a CVS client fails to find this repository:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cvsroot/eclipse/pde checkout apitools
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from dev.eclipse.org:
cvs [pserver aborted]: /cvsroot/eclipse/pde: no such repository

A similar checkout attempt for the RT repo is successful
(:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cvsroot/rt)

Would it be possible to update and correct the various pages (and all
the old repo modules) to make it easier for new-comers to discover the
new location easily?

Thanks.